Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Women in the Workplace

So I found out today that I'm getting "under compensated". The first thing that came to my mind was, "Again?". Fortunately for me, this issue is in the process of getting resolved and it has been conjectured that it was more of a budget issue at the time I got hired then it was being undervalued as an asset. Regardless of the issue, I felt a little shitty as a result. When I called to get my mom's opinion, she simply stated that I was slightly at fault because I have continually underestimated myself. At this point in my career, I agree with her.

This whole issue got me thinking about women in the workplace. On the way home, I was listening to NPR and it just so happened that I caught a program with Arianna Huffington interviewing Cathie Black, Head of Hearst publications. A lot of the issues they talked about were so applicable. Cathie Black spoke about women sitting in the "dead zone" in meetings, and about women needing to speak confidently. She also pointed out how women tend to personalize everything that happens in the workplace. I was so enthralled by the whole conversation that I went online and bought her book Basic Black: The Essential Guide for Getting Ahead at Work (and in Life). Can't wait.

No comments: