Monday, October 6, 2008

Black Monday

I live in Silicon Valley, the land of tech giants and brilliant startups. In an economy such as ours, the inevitable time comes when these giants sometimes misstep and suddenly need to re-evaluate their size. Today many of my colleagues were laid off. It was unfortunate and I feel some of the people they let go were completely a mistake. And we all know how this goes, we look at the people and try to figure out if there was an ulterior motive, and in some cases you can see why those people were chosen, and in some cases, you have no idea. Some of these people were very bright intelligent individuals who worked long hours and gave their blood to see the best work was put out. These were people I respected, and in my opinion were helpful in moving our company forward. And while my job is secure for now, who knows about the next round of layoffs?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had something encouraging to say, but I think we all know the economy won't be improving any time soon, and this bailout thing won't help much either. We're sailing in a sea of shit, and it's all shit as far as the eyes can see...

cherie said...

I don't even know what to say either. I feel like I'm going to a funeral. I'm scared and I know this is the beginning, I know more are coming, probably next spring.