Sunday, February 17, 2008

1100 miles to El Paso

I've been spending my President's day in El Paso, TX. This is one of those little things I don't like talking about, but I guess its time to come clean. My whole family are born and bred El Pasoans. I am a Cali girl but, my dad, aunts, uncles, grandmas, cousins all live in Texas. My dad wanted me to come up to hang out with him and since I've ran out of every excuse, I finally had to give in.


I've been living the El Paso experience. I've eaten at Chico's Tacos, some nasty cheap little taco shop which is only in El Paso, and I've eaten only Mexican food since I've been here. Its been great for my Spanish however. Everyone in EP speaks Spanish, even the non-Latins. If you go to a restaurant, the waiter will speak in Spanish, and if you ask for something in English, you are likely to get a confused look. Since I'm going to Mexico City in a few weeks, its been a good test run. I've been fluent in Spanish approximately twice in my life--when I was 5, and when I was 12ish, and some of it is coming back to me in this short trip.


I've been staying with my dad and his #3 wife. I have to admit, she's a good match for him. They look genuinely affectionate with each other. It made me wonder if they were meant to be for each other this whole time. Instead they have 3 broken marriages between them and 5 kids. Perhaps its because they are in their late 40's but they seem to be quite comfortable and my dad is much calmer with her than I've ever seen him with my mom. She's a very nice person, very easy going and very open. She seems like someone my dad would bully, but in fact he seems to respect her. If my dad can be tamed, then maybe there's hope for me after all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i have to say it would be weird to see either of my parents with someone else. though i guess you have had some time to become accustomed to it. hope you have a fun time with the mexicans!